Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Two Market Research Tips

(Note: My next several posts are really for the entrepreneurs I instruct at the Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center. But I decided to write them here as a way to make them easily available to past students too. If you're not a Ren. Center member, you are welcome too!)

There are several resources that will help make your market research easier. I will be adding more over the next few days, so be sure to check back. Also, if you have any questions, please ask them in a comment; there are probably at least a few more in the class that also have questions. I'll post my response here.

Many entrepreneurs have a budget of $0 when it comes to market research. So my suggestions here are for free or almost free tips and tools that will help you.

(1) Surveys

One of the best tools you can use for primary research is online surveys. Try one of these three: Survey Monkey has a guide on creating strong online surveys, so I would encourage you to consider using them. I've used Survey Monkey for both small and mid-size organizations; there's a good chance it will handle what you need.

In an ideal world, you would distribute your survey to your entire target market. But to keep it simple, yet still get meaningful responses, you can start with your friends and family, and ask them to send the link to anyone they think would be interested in your product or service.

You want your survey invitation to look very professional. Sending it out via a service like Constant Contact means that it will look professional. But more importantly, you'll be able to track who actually opened your email.


(2) Tradeshows
Another great primary research source is a tradeshow. I can't emphasize how much information you can get walking up and down the aisles of your industry's tradeshow. Information dangles everywhere, ready to be plucked and consumed. You can find a tradeshow on TSNN by searching their immense database.

2 comments:

Food Coach said...

I'm told my NAICS is 611699 (by a personal call from "Dr. Naics"! But when I try and search the online data bases we discussed in class, I come up emptyhanded with no direct matches for that #. What do do?

Kitchen Coach

Patrice said...

Food Coach, it's sometimes easier to search for Standard Industrial Classification (or SIC) system. Go to the SIC System Search at the US Dept. of Labor and try again.