Thursday, July 30, 2009

The OTHER Social Media Sites

I taught the first class of the four-week Start your Own Business class at the Ren. Center. Great class, really looking forward to seeing how everyone develops their business ideas.

Next week we'll be talking about how to find where your customers hang out. One area I want to bring up is that there are lots of social media sites BEYOND Facebook.

For example, I like to cook every now and again. Foodbuzz is a social media site focusing on - yep - foodies. I cruised on over to that site when I'm in creative cooking mode. Another site I just heard about is Tip'd, "a community for financial news, ideas, and tips." I'll be checking that out too.

These sites don't have the same overall traffic as Facebook or MySpace. But what they do have is users highly interested in food or finance. If that's your market, that's where you want to be, above being on general social media sites. They also provide an inexpensive, powerful way to increase your understanding of your customers.

Go find your social media sites. Then let us know where you like to hang out.

No comments: